1) What’s your favorite film set in space?
The 1980's version of Flash Gordon. Seeing it in the cinema is one of my earliest memories - I was completely entranced. Sam J. Jones, who played Flash Gordon, came to Johannesburg to promote the film and I saw him in a shopping mall - but I was too terrified to go up to him and say hello (like my aunt suggested.)
2) What’s your favorite film set at sea?
Not necessarily a favourite, but I've read Jaws recently and re-watched the film (which I must have seen a hundred times during the 80s, as a teenager.) I remember even creating my own "Jaws" boardgame.
3) What’s your favorite film set in a non-U.S. city?
One of my favourite films, A Room with a View.
4) What’s your favorite film set before the 20th Century?
Far From the Madding Crowd with Carey Mulligan is pretty good - and I love its soundtrack.
5) What’s your favorite film set on a university campus?